Reading the Thompson article made me pause and think about how I have developed my clinical decision making. I have been a nurse in my specialty area for almost 30 y ears, in that time I have practiced in one large private hospital and two University Hospitals. Like most, I have asked many colleagues opinions about clinical situations to help me make a decision on how to care for a patient. Although the readings cautioned us to recognize the unreliability of anecdotal advice, I think this process is critical to developing clinical decision making skills. Most of us learn from the collective sharing of cases, especially in the description of the difficult picture a patient presented and how the nurse worked through the problem. So I think it would be foolish to diminish the role of sharing information. I think what is important is the weight a nurse gives that piece of information. In thinking back I when I was pretty “green” this advice strongly influenced my decision making, now I use that information a lot more judiciously.
In thinking of an effective way to reconcile the influence of experience with its known bias, maybe several approaches could be considered. Pairing novice nurses with well-rounded mentors, ensuring that work area standards and policies reflect evidence-based practices and routine audits of care practices to evaluate outcomes would be effective methods to promote evidence-based practice.
Friday, March 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Janet,
ReplyDeleteI agree that pairing novice nurses with experienced mentors could help with reconciling the influence of experience with its known bias, but only if experienced mentors are taught to recognize the inherent bias in ones perceived judgment/experience. What might be really helpful in pairing new nurses with mentors might be teaching mentors to push novice nurses to use lit searches and CDSSs to answer clinical questions in an evidence-based fashion, rather than relying on the preceptors experience to answer clinical questions. It's kind of like asking your old high school teachers a question, and getting the answer "that's a great question, look it up for an answer!"