Saturday, February 7, 2009

Module 2 question 1

I used PubMed as the database that I searched. I did a Boolean search for Postpartum Hemorrhage AND simulation. This search yielded around 12 references and after reading the abstracts I choose six.
I choose PubMed because I have had mixed experience with searches before and I just presumed it was because I didn't know how to search. My previous practice was to do the search and because I didn't really know how to get the list of just the articles I was interested in I frequently would print results of the whole search, highlight what I was interested in and then search for the individual article.
Prior to doing my search I did the PubMed tutorial and got a little lost in it. Probably the best way to learn is just to jump in and play around with it and I did that. I think the most helpful hint was the info on the Boolean search which made the references that came up a lot more pertinent than when I would just type in a lower case and. Based on the information that I read both in the tutorial and also in Recall to Precision I limited my search to the past 5 years. This was somewhat helpful but most of the articles on simulation are more recent, so I don't know if for this search it had that big an impact. What is still a little confusing is the concept of MeSH it didn't seem to yield much for this search but maybe if I were looking at just a broad topic it would be helpful.
This exercise made me a little more confident of my ability to conduct an effective search. I did create a NCBI account and will continue in my quest to use PubMed more efficiently.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't that what most of this kind of stuff is about...playing around with it? (And having other people show you the "tricks" is helpful too!)

    ReplyDelete