1. Introduce yourself to the group. Include your graduate area (e.g., teaching, acute care NP, etc.). Why do you as a graduate level nurse need to know about information management?
I am Janet Fisher a second semester student in the Teaching Nursing Masters. Information management is critical for me in all aspects of my life. As a student the volume of material that we are exposed to is daunting. As an aspiring nurse educator a lot of the resource material I am being exposed to will become invaluable references for both me and my future students.
2. Describe what is happeing related to IT in your clinical or practice setting. What structured documentation, standards, and/or coded terminologies do you see within your practice setting (if none--where might they be applicable)? How are structured/coded clinical data useful in promoting quality patient care?
I am a L&D nurse and caring for a patient on my unit requires me to use two documentation systems (OB Tracevue and Powerchart). Both of these systems primarily promote documentation of assessment findings on drop down lists although both systems allow the ability to free text where assessment findings are documented on drop down lists. This method of standardized charting would allow for the evaluation of data points to assess quality improvement and currently on my unit we use this data to audit compliance with doing a“time out” prior to surgery and invasive procedures (epidurals) as well as evaluating our compliance with putting on SCD’s prior to surgery and assess our times on initiating skin-to-skin between mother and baby as well as tracking the first breastfeeding time. All of these audits have been very helpful in tracking our progress towards consistent care and patient safety issues
Sunday, January 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Module 3 - Multiple Intelligences Test
ReplyDeleteMy result of the Gardner Multiple Intelligence tests is that I have equal strengths in both interpersonal and intrapersonal with my next strength being linguistic. The results of my test are congruent with what the explanation of the test said, that most people possess a set of intelligences. I would like to think that my strength in both self-awareness and awareness of others would allow me to be in tune to the person that I am trying to teach. My two weakest areas are kinesthetic and spatial/visual. This was a little bit of a surprise to me because I thought I was a strong visual learner. I am not surprised by my kinesthetic or spatial deficits. I am truly all thumbs when it comes to figuring out electronics and feel pretty intimidated by them. This does pose a challenge to me as someone who is in the "Teaching Nursing" sequence. Both this module and the activities that we are doing in Nursing 6011 emphasize how different electronic media are the most effective way to engage students. Currently when teaching I ask the students to help me with electronic glitches I run into. I learn as much from them as I hope they learn from me.
The stated mission of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality is to” improve the quality, safety efficiency and effectiveness of healthcare for all Americans”. The AHRQ homepage is filled with links to areas that support the mission but do not have specific application to healthcare regulation, accreditation or reimbursement. However several of the links describe a process or provide information on activities that regulatory agencies monitor for accreditation and in the near future will impact re-imbursement.
ReplyDeleteThe AHRQ homepage provides links to evidence based care for many patient populations The Patient Safety Indicators are currently the focus of many hospitals’s quality focus. These describe “must never happen” outcomes for inpatient populations. The cost of treating these hospital acquired complications, listed in the Patient Safety Indicators, will soon be denied for Medicaid and Medicare patients. The practices listed in the Ambulatory Care Quality Alliance are designed to improve performance, data aggregation and reporting.
A Podcast by Mark Chassein gives advice about accreditation and regulatory agencies. There is also a link to an article by Rebecca Warburton on Accreditation and Regulation: Can They Help Improve Patient Safety?
The AHRQ has many links for health information use and design. The Heath Information Technology link describes best practices such as barcode medication administration, give links to reports on the use of various IT applications and information on successful use of IT at healthcare facilities. This website distributes information on evidence based practice through the National Quality Clearinghouse. Many hospitals track “miss and near miss” occurrences through the Patient Safety Network. The AHRQ hosts online workshops on how to best utilize this quality tool to identify trends in patient care to improve overall quality and safety.